Sunday, February 21, 2010

Top Fifteen Movie Songs 3/15

Top Fifteen Movie Songs 3/15 (in no particular order that I will admit to): 
03) -Dual of the Fatesby John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra
Film: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
This... this alone right here, that make the film watchable.  I mean, I like SW EP1. 
There are a number of "okay" things about it, but This song, in This scene - were they not what they are, the film would... not be good - would instead be a gratuitous collection of fan candy.  (Ooh... I like that.  I need to remember it.)

The piece has a contemporary, modern relevance, and a classic, timeless structure that makes it one of the most powerful pieces in modern theatre.  The scene, while seemingly meaningless to the one film's primary plot thread (it does not help win the Battle of Naboo), it is the groundwork for the ultimate struggle that is unresolved until Vader kills the emperor in episode six - the first of many Jedi to be killed by the Sith and the good within triumphing over evil. 
Now, I'm not saying that Vader off-ing the emperor makes up for all the stuff he did bad - just that, well, I think he finally saw the weakness in the dark side.  Now, if only Tom Riddle could have learned the same lesson, his cool snake would not have had to loose it's head.

The song does not hold anything really personal or anything like that, I just really, really like it and it belongs on this list.
Take Care-
LQ

No comments:

Post a Comment