Thursday, February 25, 2010

Top Fifteen Movie Songs 5/15

Top Fifteen Movie Songs 5/15 (in no particular order that I will admit to): 
05) "Dare To Be Stupid"
Performed by 'Weird Al' Yankovic
Film: Transformers: The Movie - the first one.

If you've seen the movie, you know this is on the junk world.  I can't imagine a better song for the scene... but I am not sure that part wasn't spawned from listening to the song.  I mean, I like Weird Al.  I was already familiar with several of his songs.  I am "too young" for the original Transformers series, so my introduction to the Transformer's universe was with this film.  I wanted to see it before I saw the new movie (the first new movie) so Dad put it on.  He had it on VHS from, like, back when.  Goodness only knows.

I always liked bumblebee and I was kinda torn on the not-being-a-vdub-in-the-new-release, but I digress.

So, "Dare to be Stupid" is not an actual song parody, but this is one of Weird Al's early attempts at writing a parody of a band's distinctive style.  It really worked well.  Mark Mothersbaugh said when asked about it, "This is the kind of song I would like to write.  It sounds more Devo than Devo."  Or something like that.  I forget.  But still, the gist of it being that he captured the Devo sound, people were convinced it was a Devo song parody, but they could not figure out which.  He has since written original songs in the styles of NIN, Dead Milkmen, that band with those guys in it, and more.

Now time for a little odd connection:

[quote=wikipedia] 

[Neuromancer] Video game

In 1988, a video game adaptation [of the novel], designed by Bruce J. Balfour, Brian Fargo, Troy A. Miles, and Michael A. Stackpole, was published by Interplay. The game, also titled Neuromancer, had many of the same locations and themes as the novel, but a different protagonist and plot. It also featured, as a soundtrack, a computer adaptation of the Devo song "Some Things Never Change." It was available for a variety of platforms, including the Amiga, the Apple II, the Commodore 64, and for DOS-based computers.
[/quote]

For those of you who have been following along, Neuromancer was written by William Gibson. (see song number 2/15 on this "list")

I think that is it for this one.
So, Put all your eggs in one basket and squeeze all the Charmin you can.
Take Care-
LQ

No comments:

Post a Comment